I remember my mother making this cake when I was a kid. She never put frosting on it (which was always my favorite part of the cake) because she said it was so rich anyways that it really didn’t need any. She would dust the top of the cake with a bit of powdered sugar but that was all. I remember the cake being really moist. It would almost melt in your mouth.
When I was asked what kind of cake I wanted for my birthday this cake popped into my head. I had to have it. Yes, my birthday was over the holiday weekend. Not a significant one, I still have a bit longer for that.
This wasn’t quite as good as my memories of it are but then again is anything? It was REALLY good though. It was moist, chocolaty and everything I wanted. The frosting was amazing chocolate buttercream. I would make this cake again and again and again.
This is the original recipe from a Hellman’s advertisement in a magazine. Frost with your favorite chocolate buttercream or a dusting of powdered sugar.
Old Fashioned Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 3 cups unsifted flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups Hellman’s Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan with butter and flour.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Stir the mayonnaise into the dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour in the water and vanilla while beating the ingredients. Beat until smooth and well blended.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until center springs back when touched.
- Cool completely before frosting.