Yesterday was an interesting day. Part of my son’s Autism is that he is unaware of what is happening with his body. He has trouble with telling when he is in other’s personal space, he can be sick and not know it or he can seriously hurt himself and not know it. He told me a few days ago he was having trouble hearing and needed to get his hearing checked. Since his sister has been hard-of-hearing from birth we are always aware of his hearing too. I made a doctor appointment for yesterday to get his ears and hearing checked. He had an ear infection in both ears! Since I felt so awful about missing the clues I took him out to lunch, to Barnes and Noble to buy a couple of books and then to a movie. He thought he had struck gold!
By the time we got home last night it was one of those nights I did not want to make dinner. I didn’t want to cook. I didn’t want to do anything. We could have gone out to eat. But, I didn’t want to even do that! Thankfully we had taken some cooked chicken out of the freezer for a night like this. Some rice and the vegetables I could find in my fridge and there was dinner!
I love Fried Rice. It is so simple to make and you can add whatever vegetables you like. Keep it traditional with carrots, peas and onions or make it your own with whatever you have on hand. I wanted to bulk up this dish because this was our meal. I had broccoli and used an entire head in the dish. We had enough for 2 lunch servings today.
Fried Rice with Chicken and Broccoli
- 3 cups rice, made according to directions – leftovers are great for this
- 2-3 cups diced chicken, pre-cooked (rotisserie or leftovers are good)
- 4-6 cups of your choice of vegetables (carrots, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, cabbage, etc…)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced finely
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Heat canola oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add vegetables in order of cooking time. Broccoli and carrots will take longer to cook than mushrooms or cabbage. Cook the broccoli and carrots to almost done before adding mushrooms and cabbage that take less time.
- Push veggies to the side and add rice and chicken to wok. Add sesame oil. Fry the rice and chicken in the sesame oil to warm. Add garlic to pan and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Clear out the center of the wok and add egg. Scramble egg and stir together all ingredient including soy sauce.
- Serve hot.