Back, what seems eons ago in January, I chose the word JOY as my word of intention through this year. My life got off track a bit and I was starting to get overwhelmed by health stuff and home stuff. I went back and read my resolution to choose JOY in making decisions and living life this year. There is no reason for me to not choose it. The weather is sunny, the beach is a mile away, we are relatively healthy and we have what we need. My house may not look House Beautiful ready but it is what we need. It keeps us safe, dry and comfortable. It is a place where we are feed emotionally and physically. We are okay. Sometimes I just need to be reminded it is okay for me to be joyful.
So last night we cooked out. I had a steak marinating all day. We stopped and picked up Naan to go with the Tzatziki I made with the fresh dill I had. I love the fresh meals like this. This is only the second time we have grilled out this year. I love grilling but have been so busy I forget how much I love the flavor and need to do more of it before it gets too cold to grill out.
This was a tasty steak. Also, I was using a tougher cut of steak and using the lemon juice and red wine vinegar helped make the steak more tender and added great flavor!
Add a good dose of the homemade Tzatziki (recipe here) and this has tons of amazing tastes. Garlic, allspice and a tang of vinegar is delicious.
Make the dish your own by adding your choice of toppings! Kalamata olives, onion, feta, tomatoes, it is up to you!
Greek Marinated Steak with Tzatziki
- 2 lbs. steak
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Tzatziki, feta, red peppers, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, your choice….
- Naan or pita
- Mix steak marinade ingredients in a resealable bag. Add steak and place bag in refrigerator for 2 hours to overnight.
- Remove steak from bag and grill to your specifications. We like it on the rare/medium-rare side but cook it to your preference.
- Allow steak to rest for 5 minutes and then slice thinly.
- Place on Naan or pita with your choice of toppings.