I am still loving our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) share each week. We have been getting lots of great organic produce like summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and blueberries each week. Every Wednesday we get a new box of produce and I had a few leftover items I wanted to use before the new box so I created this dish using all the odds and ends I had left from the CSA plus a bit of extra.
I am sure you are noticing a theme lately with chicken. When chicken is on sale I grab 20-30 lbs. of it so we eat quite a bit of chicken. This was made with chicken thighs and had such great flavor the family didn’t even notice it was our third day eating chicken.
This was delicious and it made quite a bit so we had plenty of leftovers for lunches the next day. Because I have a double oven this was easy for me to make all at once. If you have one oven you can roast the vegetables ahead of time and mix them into the dish at the end of the cooking time to warm through.
This last time I made this I used zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes (we had quite a few of these!) and onions. I threw in some added basil, garlic and onion powder to give it almost an Italian flavor. Remember to taste and adjust the spices to your liking! You could also change the spices as you wish – thyme, rosemary or even cumin for a Mexican flair.
I served this with a green salad and our meal was complete.
Chicken and Rice with Roasted Vegetables
- 2 lbs. boneless, skin less chicken thighs
- 2 cups rice (I used brown rice)
- 4 cups chicken stock (remember the stock I made from the chicken carcass)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 10-12 cups of vegetables for roasting such as zucchini, summer squash, onions, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, etc…
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated for topping if desired
- Preheat ovens to 350 degrees for chicken and rice and 425 degrees for vegetables. Cook vegetables first if using one oven.
- On a rimmed baking sheet mix vegetables, a healthy drizzle of olive oil, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Spread evenly over baking sheet and bake in oven for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. If needed drizzle extra olive oil over vegetables to keep them from sticking to the pan. Remove pan from oven when vegetables are cooked through and browned.
- If you are able to once vegetables are in oven mix rice, stock and onion powder in a 13 x 9 pan. Lay the chicken breasts across the top of the rice and cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Place pan in oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove pan from oven, open foil and stir contents. Remove cover and return to oven for 10-15 minutes to finish cooking chicken and rice. Liquid will be absorbed and chicken will be cooked through when done.
- Shred chicken breasts, if desired. Stir together vegetables, chicken and rice. Taste and adjust spices as desired.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if desired.