For those of you who have read my Christmas – Getting Real post on Saturday (click for link to post) the tree is up! We bought a new tree and I love it. It is 9 feet tall and fits the space so much better than the old tree. No, we did not find the missing leg to the old tree, yet, but we kept the tree so when we find the leg we can put it in the Rumpus Room. (Any Disney fans out there who know which ride we named our family room after?)
The tree isn’t decorated yet but at least it is up. Hopefully we will get it decorated this week.
My daughter loves making Puppy Chow and wanted to make some as a Christmas-like treat. It is very simple to make so she tends to make it quite often. They had a baking sale at our grocery store the other night so as she was unloading the groceries she was planning what kind of Puppy Chow she wanted to make. She saw white chocolate chips, candy canes, pink peppermint marshmallows and milk chocolate chips and quickly declared she was making Peppermint Puppy Chow.
This was actually better than I thought it was going to be. I don’t know but Peppermint Puppy Chow sounded a bit strange to me when she said that was what she was going to make but I wasn’t going to discourage her. Once she had it made everyone thought it was really good!
Peppermint Puppy Chow
- 6 cups corn and rice cereal squares (all corn, all rice or a mix of the two is fine)
- 1 (12 oz) package white chocolate chips
- 6 candy canes, crushed (also can use peppermint hard candies)
- 1 1/2 cups pink peppermint marshmallows
- 1/2 cup milk or dark chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place cereal and 1/2 of crushed candy canes, in a large bowl.
- Melt white chocolate chips for 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until chips are smooth.
- Pour melted white chocolate over cereal and mix until well combined.
- Add the marshmallows and lightly stir.
- Place cereal on pan. Sprinkle with remaining crushed candy canes.
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave and stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over the cereal.
- Place pan in refrigerator until set. Break into small pieces and store in a covered dish in refrigerator.