We had our first snow day yesterday. I LOVE snow days. I like having my kids both home with me and because everything is cancelled we have this “free” day to play. Now, both kids still have things to do like emptying the dishwasher and shoveling but somehow the whole day just seems more fun and easier.
The roads were clear enough that by the afternoon we went to the movies to see “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.” It was a good movie. Very reminiscent of the Harry Potter movies. I liked that they moved it to America but still referenced the Harry Potter world of wizarding. It wasn’t over done but appropriate when they mentioned Dumbledore, Grimwald, etc…. I do have to say Eddie Redmayne, as Newt, drove me crazy during the movie. It was tough for me in there wasn’t an actual book to read to get to the broader view of the characters. There is a book of the script but I haven’t read that yet so I don’t know if it was the way he chose to play the character or the character itself. I am hoping that in the next few movies his character is fleshed out more and I can get the answers to why Newt was like he was. The kids loved the movie and I am so glad we were able to go.
We then decided to bake some Christmas cookies for one of our treats. For the most part this year we are trying to keep the Christmas cookies super simple. I have found that my kids for the most part like the bright colors of the candy and sprinkles in the cookies probably more than the cookies themselves.
These are super chocolate cookies because they have an entire bag of chocolate chips and an entire bag of M&Ms mixed in. There is plenty of chocolate in each bite! The red and green M&Ms make them festive too!
Super Chocolate M&M Christmas Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (12 oz) bag chocolate chips
- 1 (11.40 oz) bag Holiday M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl beat together butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- In a second bowl mix together flour and baking soda until combined. Mix together two bowls and stir in chocolate chips and M&Ms until mixed thoroughly.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2″- 2″ balls and place onto ungreased cookie sheets leaving 1 ” in between dough.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until edges are starting to brown slightly. Allow cookies to rest for 5 minutes before removing from cookie sheets.