The weather is still cold but we are trying to not eat totally from cookies, candy and doughnuts trays. As Christmas gets closer it seems more and more difficult to get dinner on the table. The busier we get the less I seem to want to spend time cooking.
So, we took some shortcuts on this. I try not use too many jarred sauces so when I find one we all like I usually try to keep at least one of them on hand. This Sweet Chili Sauce from Tsung (I received no compensation for mentioning this product nor am I in any way associated with this company – it is just one we like) is slightly sweet and slightly spicy. If you are a total non-spicy person this will not work for you. It has a hint of spice that was just enough for my daughter but almost too much. I thought it was perfect.
A light fry gave the drumsticks and thighs a perfect coating before a quick bake in the chili sauce. The coating was still crunchy and not mushy as we only drizzled 2/3 of the jar over the chicken pieces. The flavor was slightly spicy and slightly sweet which was delicious as a dipping sauce too.
We served this with green beans and mashed potatoes but this would also be good over rice.
- 3 lbs. chicken thighs and drumsticks
- 2 eggs
- flour for dipping chicken
- 1 jar Tsung Sweet Chili Sauce
- Oil for frying
- Prepare oven by heating to 175 degrees or lowest temperature possible. You will want to keep the chicken warm as you fry it in batches. Place a plate in the oven to place the chicken on after it is cooked.
- Heat oil in a large pan over slightly higher than medium heat.
- Dip chicken pieces in egg and then roll in flour. Shake slightly to allow any excess to fall off.
- Gently place 4 pieces of chicken at a time in the oil to cook. Allow the chicken to cook until golden brown and completely cooked through. Remove chicken from oil and place on clean paper towels to absorb excess oil. Place chicken on plate in oven to keep warm. Repeat steps until all chicken is cooked.
- Once all chicken is cooked, remove plate from oven. Raise heat in oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 13″ x 9″ with non-stick spray. Place chicken in a single layer in the pan. Drizzle with 2/3 of the jar of Sweet Chili Sauce.
- Place pan in oven for 5-10 minutes until sauce is warmed. Remove pan and oven from serve while hot.