Yesterday I shared a recipe for Zopf bread (Swiss braided bread – click for link to recipe). When we make bread the first thing we want to make to go with it is soup! Hot fresh bread dipped in a creamy soup is pure heaven. So, we went with the Swiss theme and made Swiss Potato Soup.
It has bacon. What more can I say. Swiss cheese, potatoes, bacon? My kids love the themed meals. The cheese is light so it is not heavy on the cheese flavor but the bacon adds a nice salty flavor.
We served this with Zopf bread and add a green side salad for a complete meal.
Swiss Potato Soup
- 1/2 lb. bacon, cooked to crispy and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups cream or 1/2 and 1/2
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese, freshly shredded
- Once bacon is cooked to crisp remove bacon from frying pan and reserve 1 Tablespoon bacon grease.
- Saute onions over medium low heat to tender. Add chicken stock, potatoes and black pepper to pan. Bring to a boil and cook about 10 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Mix together cream and flour until smooth. Slowly pour into the potato mixture. Allow it to return to a slow light boil. Cook until thickened 2-5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add cheese and bacon. Stir until cheese is fully melted and incorporated. Taste and adjust spices as needed.