In a blog post earlier this year I wrote about how I get inspiration for dinners. One thing I said was I try to take something we like and turn it into something new. Make a favorite casserole into a sandwich, a sandwich into a pizza or a soup into a casserole. This is one of those dishes. We love Italian Subs and on the way to the grocery store the other day my son and I were discussing what could we make into a pizza, because that is what I was craving. He suggested several different pizzas but we all agreed this one sounded like the best one for the night.
My family was skeptical about this at first. But it was delicious! They ate the whole pizza! We all agreed next time to add the arugula, and the balsamic vinegar reduction to the pizza to make it over the moon delicious.
Best of all you can customize it as you wish. Choose the meats you love and the toppings you love to make it your own!
Italian Sub Pizza
- 1 lb. ball of pizza dough
- corn meal for dusting pan
- 1 (6.35 oz) jar of Dellalo sun-dried tomato, basil and cheese pesto
- 1/2 lb Italian meats mixed to equal 1/2 lb, thinly sliced (your choice of Genoa salami, pepperoni, prosciutto, capicola, or mortadella)
- 5 oz. Italian cheese mixture (provolone, Parmesan, Romano, and mozzarella)
- choice of toppings add prior to cooking – onions, banana peppers, red peppers
- choice of toppings for after cooking – baby arugula or spinach, drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction, Italian Dressing or Parmesan Peppercorn
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread dough out into a large circle and place on a pizza stone with a dusting of corn meal. Fork holes in crust to avoid over rising. Bake for 5 minutes prior to putting toppings on crust.
- Remove crust from oven and spread with pesto. Cover with meats and sprinkle with cheese. Place choice of toppings on pizza. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbly and edges are browning.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting. Add toppings as desired – baby arugula, spinach or dressings.
- Serve warm.