I was looking for a simple bar food type of meal to serve the other night. I was thinking enchilada verde but didn’t want to take the time to roll all the enchiladas and bake them. So, we did a nachos version!
These nachos take a bit more work than regular nachos to make the cheese sauce but we thought it was worth it. How easy are they to make? My daughter made them (and took the picture). Oops. But, they tasted pretty good. She wanted them to be a bit more like regular nachos but they were good.
You can tell my daughter made the nachos because the jalapeno is clumped at the top right of the dish so they don’t touch anything she may want to eat!
Enchilada Verde Nachos
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
- 1 can chilis, (hot or mild – your choice)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 (16 oz) bag of tortilla chips
- salsa and parsley for serving, if desired
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cup half and half or whole milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the ground beef and onion. As the meat cooks break it into small pieces with the side of a spoon. Drain grease from pan when meat is cooked through.
- Add verde sauce, cumin, and chilis to meat. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes for sauce to reduce.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat melt butter. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and stir for 1-2 minutes to form a paste. Allow to slightly brown but not become burnt. Stir in milk slowly to avoid clumping. Cook for 3-5 minutes until sauce is thickened stirring the entire time. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust spices for flavor.
- To make nachos cover a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place a single layer of chips on the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of meat topped with cheese sauce and then another layer of nachos. Sprinkle jalapeno on as you wish. Repeat layers until all ingredients are gone.
- Sprinkle top with parsley if desired.