I have decided since it is my birthday weekend (because yes, it takes a whole weekend to celebrate and it’s one of those big ones) that I can do what I want on my blog today. We have friends visiting from college, and will have a big dinner over the weekend for about 20 people. It will be fun. But, that leaves little time to really cook and blog.
I don’t often talk about myself but rather my kids and partner. So, I figured it was time to talk about myself a bit. Here are my 20 questions:
- Do you have a nickname? No, we really don’t do nicknames. My children both use their formal names, which are not short, and my name is short so….
- If you could live anywhere in the world where would you be? I would like to live back on the east coast but I would like to spend 2 years in Europe first living in Sweden or Finland and traveling from there.
- What is one thing most people don’t know about you? I know all the episodes of “The Brady Bunch” from their opening line. It used to be played in reruns when I was younger and I loved that show.
- If you could have dinner with one person living or dead who would it be? Jesus. I want all the answers now. I want to know why things happen the way they do. I am not into waiting for answers. If it turns out Jesus is not real, yes I have doubts from time to time, it would have to be my grandmother. She died when I was living away from home. I think back about her and how wonderful she was to me when I was younger and I wish I had been the same for her at the end. But, I was young and we just got married and had our first child. I wish I could do that time over.
- What is the one food you will always order when you go out to eat? If they have it on the menu I almost always order the meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I know it is one of the worst dishes to order in restaurants but it is my favorite meal.
- If your mother could cook for you again what do you wish she would make? Her scalloped potatoes with ham. I loved that dish. Even though she has told me how she makes them it is one of those dishes she does by feel and I can never quite get the taste I remember.
- Do you have any regrets? I think we all do at some level but I try to view them as learning experiences rather than regrets. I think that is a better way of looking at those times and not staying stuck there wishing and hoping you could have made it different because you would not be where you are or who you are without those experiences.
- What is the one possession you would grab in a fire? Other than people and my cat probably my charm bracelets. I know that sounds weird but my kids have been getting me charms for birthdays and holidays since they were little. They would pick charms that represented them. My daughter gave me one this birthday before she left for camp that is an Irish dancer. I thought it was perfect! So, this represents our lives. I have pictures backed up everywhere because of my fears of losing them.
- Do you work? Yes, well kind of? I still work for a Certified Public Accounting Firm back in Rochester. I can go into their system and work from Michigan. I think it is the perfect job because he will call me and say I have this work for you do you want to or can you do this? I can say yes or no based on my schedule and it is okay. I won’t be penalized for saying no and I can work as much or as little as I like. Also, I volunteer for several organizations and cart my kids around to classes and lessons all over Michigan. Yes, I work.
- Can you play a musical instrument? Yes. I play piano, bells (for choir) and sing. I taught music for a while in a previous life. 🙂
- What would your children be named if they didn’t have the names they have now? We chose names that had family connections on both side. I think if we didn’t choose family names I would still like regal or presidential names like Elizabeth and Caroline for girls and Harrison or Jefferson for a boy.
- Do you have pets? We do have one cat. She is an only cat. We used to have dogs and cats but as the dogs slowly died off and we moved we decided we needed to be dog less for some time. We loved them all but our lives are so busy now it wouldn’t be fair to a dog to be gone so much. Besides, when our cat came to us – it was a 32 degree night and she just walked into our house. We advertised for several weeks to see if anyone claimed her but no one did so she stayed and we promised her she would be an only cat because she was terrified of our Saint Bernard and hid under our bed for three months. She would only come out at night when everyone was asleep. She is much better now but quick movements or strangers still spook her.
- What is your major fear? Being out of control. I am very well aware that I am a control freak in all parts of my life. If we are in the car I need to be driving. If we are planning an event I have to try really hard not to take over and do it “the right way.” Fast food restaurants drive me insane because I want to jump over the counter and let them know how to more efficiently serve customers and create a better experience for everyone. Yes, I am that bad.
- Do you have a life motto? I love quotes so I guess I have two, “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne) and “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” Dr. Seuss. That pretty much sums up my whole philosophy on life.
- What is one thing on your bucket list in life that seems the furthest stretch for you? I think it would probably be traveling to Ireland. I hate flying (see question #13). I can’t fly a plane so….
- What would be your perfect day? This is a tough question. I have several ideas being with my family is most important though. I would spend the day with them in Epcot eating our way around the World Showcase. We love food and tasting different ethnic foods is fun.
- If you were an animal what would you be? Probably a tiger. I see them as being on guard, ever vigilant, and protective. I am a bit like that or rather see myself that way. I don’t know that I am but that is how I see myself within my family and groups I am involved in.
- Is there something you would not eat under any circumstances? Haggis. I love sausages but the thought of this just turns my stomach. Haggis is made from the heart, liver, etc. of sheep or calf, minced with suet, oatmeal, seasonings, and boiled in the stomach of the animal. Yeah, no.
- Favorite dessert? Depends, I love a good chocolate cake with chocolate fudge frosting but sometimes that is just too much so I go to the lemon bars. Heavy and tasty or light and refreshing no in between for me.
- Anything else you want to say? I am happy to be celebrating my birthday surrounded by my friends and family. This is a perfect weekend to me.
So, if you feel like take the 20 questions and let me know your answers. Link to your blog post in the comments if you like!