To me the best dinners are the cook once and eat twice meals. We grilled extra steak the other night and a had two leftover Drunken Pork Chops (click for link to recipe). When I suggested this for dinner my family was thrilled. They love to do appetizer dinners every once in a while. I like them too because they tend to be easy to make and taste delicious.
This would also be great as an appetizer for a party or a family gathering. Make the cream cheese ahead of time, cover, and place in refrigerator up to 24 hours ahead of time.
This was so good! Thinly sliced pork or beef with herb cheese, roasted red pepper, and green onions had tons of flavor. It was crunchy, flavorful, and super simple to make. Perfection to me.
I served this with a plate of cut up vegetables and dip to make a complete meal.
Herbed Cheese Crostini with Steak or Pork
- 1 french baguette, sliced on an angle into thin slices
- butter, melted or olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
- spices – garlic powder, basil, thyme, salt, black pepper, oregano and grated Parmesan cheese
- thinly sliced steak and/or pork (great for leftovers)
- 1 jar thinly sliced roasted red peppers
- green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay baguette on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush melted butter (or olive oil) over the baguette. Bake for 3 minutes until baguette starts to just brown.
- Beat the softened cream cheese in a bowl with spices to taste. It is up to you how strong or light tasting you would like your cream cheese. I like lots of garlic, black pepper, and basil in mine but use your judgement and make it so your family will like it.
- Spread cream cheese on baguette slices. Place thinly sliced meat on top of cream cheese. Return pan to oven to bake for 3-5 minutes until cheese is melting and meat is warmed through.
- Sprinkle roasted red peppers and green onions over the top of the baguette and serve.