My daughter had her annual back-to-school sleepover the other night. This will most likely be the last one as they are all going into their senior year. I am holding out hope for one last one next year before they all go away to college but they just don’t know.
The nice thing is that as they have gotten older I have less and less responsibility in preparing the sleepover and what they eat. This year the girls made homemade pizza, which was lots of fun watching them figure out how to stretch out the dough, and then for breakfast they made this New York Style Coffee Cake with LOTS of Crumb Topping. They were all giggling about how much they love brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. They were snacking on the topping as they were making the cake at 2 am.
This is a delicious buttery cake with plenty of crumb topping (which is our favorite part). The crumb topping was about an inch thick over most of the cake which is hard to see in the picture. The girls loved that they made it and had it for breakfast the next morning.
New York Style Coffee Cake with LOTS of Crumb Topping
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
- Preheat oven 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. In a second smaller bowl mix together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla together until well blended.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients stirring gently until just combined. Pour batter into the greased pan. It will be thin.
- To make topping in a large bowl mix together the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Pour the melted butter over the top and mix gently to combine.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter breaking the mixture into big crumbs.
- Bake 20-25 minutes rotating half way through the baking time. Check by inserting toothpick into the center making sure it comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting.