Some days the side dishes are the star of the show. I am always looking for something new. When I first mentioned this both of my kids groaned when I said coleslaw. They both don’t care for the mayonnaise based sauce. But, I told them this had more sour cream than mayonnaise they were interested.
This was so good! It still had the sauce base but the spices made it so flavorful that both kids actually ate a whole serving. For my son to eat a whole serving of something with beans is almost unheard of so this had to be good.
I served this for a picnic with brats and a green salad.
- 1 (14 oz) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1\2 (16 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn off the cob or canned corn, drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and finely diced (if desired)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon + Cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a small skillet over medium heat toast corn until browning, stirring often. Remove corn from heat and allow to cool before moving on to next step.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Taste and adjust spices as necessary.