So, the picture is a bit strange on this dish but my kids both liked it. I needed a quick dish to drop in the slow cooker so that we could eat in shifts and I could be out the door quickly. I had a bag of chicken breasts and after a quick search through the pantry I found 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. I hardly ever use canned soup but desperate times called for desperate measures.
A can of mushrooms later and dinner was in the slow cooker!
I had my son make brown instant rice to go with his dinner and he liked it. He thought it had a lot of flavor and the chicken was well cooked. I didn’t get to have any because by the time I got home at 10 pm everything was cleaned up. Both kids thought it would have been better if I actually made them mushroom gravy from scratch but I definitely did not have time for that!
I had the kids make a hearty spinach salad to go with the meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1/2 cup beef stock, low sodium if available
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Worcester sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small can mushroom slices
- Rice or egg noodles for serving, as desired
- In bowl of large slow cooker place chicken breasts. Pour beef stock, mushroom soup, Worcester sauce, and mushrooms into slow cooker. Mix well. Cover and heat on low for 6 hours.
- Remove cover from slow cooker 20 minutes before serving and add sour cream and black pepper. Stir into sauce and taste. Adjust spices as necessary.
- Serve over rice or pasta as desired.