My family loves barbecue chicken so I am always trying to find new things to do with it. I had some leftover corn tortillas so BBQ Chicken Tostadas were a snap for dinner.
These were so simple to make and the family loved them! I let my chicken cook in the slow cooker all day and then shredded it with a bit more barbecue sauce just before dinner. I may also make this next time with leftover chicken if I am running tight on time.
I served this with a hearty green salad.
BBQ Chicken Tostadas
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breast
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (home-made or your favorite jarred sauce) plus additional for serving
- 8 – 10 corn tortillas
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Red onion, diced
- Parsley and/or cilantro, for garnish if desired
- Cook chicken on low in slow cooker with chicken stock and 1 cup barbecue sauce. After 6-8 hours shred chicken with two forks. Add additional barbecue sauce as desired.
- You can bake or pan fry your tortillas. To bake spray a baking sheet very well with non-stick spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes each side until they are slightly crisp. If you over bake them they become tough to chew. To fry in a skillet add oil to a fry pan and heat over medium high heat until oil shimmers add tortillas one at a time frying each side a minute or two until crispy. Remove from oil to rest on paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Top tortillas with barbecue chicken and a sprinkle of both cheeses. Place under broiler for a minute or so until cheese begins to melt. Remove from broiler and serve with red onions, a drizzle of barbecue sauce, and cilantro or parsley as desired.