This recipe was totally made up on the spot. I am trying to get through the end of the month with buying as little as possible. We were out of chicken and beef stock so I didn’t want to go buy more. What works instead? Wine! Yes, I have extra wine on hand. Doesn’t everyone.
I heard words like heavenly and food made by God from my kids when they were eating this. They absolutely loved it and didn’t leave a single bite. They said it was better than restaurant food. Highest compliments in their realm.
The wine added tons of flavor and the feta added a hint of saltiness that balanced it out.
Next time I plan on adding vegetables to the dish such as sliced onions, mushrooms and possibly some red peppers.
Serve this with a vegetable and a spinach salad to complete the meal.
Slow Cooker Beef Quinoa Bowl with Red Wine Sauce
- 3 lbs. round steak
- 2 cups red wine, use a good drinking wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups tri-colored quinoa
- feta cheese
- Salt and pepper the steak well. Place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour wine over steak. Add garlic and thyme to slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until steak reaches desired doneness and is tender.
- Remove steak from slow cooker and pour liquid into a saucepan. Remove 2 cups of liquid for cooking the quinoa and cook the rest over medium heat to a simmer until it reduces.
- When making the quinoa substitute 2 cups of the liquid in the box directions for 2 cups of the red wine sauce. For the balance use water.
- Once quinoa is cooked add to a bowl, top with sliced steak, red wine sauce and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Serve hot.