My daughter couldn’t wait for me to share this with you. This is her favorite lunch to make right now. I think because it is so simple and she can easily make it herself. She does NOT like the smell of meat cooking or cold sandwiches so to her this is a great compromise.
She can have it plain or sprinkle any number of cheeses over the top after she has flipped it over to give it an entirely new flavor.
Many people call this different things but to us it is Toad in a Hole.
This is super simple and can be customized as you like. When my daughter can make dinner for us in about 15-20 minutes? I love it!
Serve with a nice fruit salad to complete the meal.
recipe title=”Toad in a Hole” servings=”4″ time=”15 minutes” difficulty=”easy”]
- 4 – 8 large eggs
- 4 slices of thick cut bread, Italian or French work great
- Cheese, salsa, etc… as desired
- Place griddle or large fry pan on medium heat.
- Cut a hole in the center of the bread. Butter one side of the bread and lay flat on your griddle
- Break 1 or 2 eggs into the hole in the bread. If your hole is large enough or your bread is thick you may want to use 2 eggs.
- Butter second side of bread. When first side is browned and egg is set flip bread over to toast second side.
- If you wish sprinkle with cheese and cover with skillet lid to melt.
- Serve hot with choice of toppings or plain.