With all the parties this month I know we are going to over do the cookies, appetizers, and candy. I wanted to make something that felt kind of healthy and that wasn’t too heavy.
My family loves shawarma and I had ground beef thawing for dinner. I decided to twist the usual beef shawarma by making it with ground beef and making it into a quinoa bowl.
My family loved this meal! It had tons of flavor from the ground beef shawarma, a bit of crunch from the veggies, a nice chewy texture from the tri-colored quinoa, a bit of creamy from the garlic sauce and salty from the feta. It was amazing!
Ground Beef Shawarma Quinoa Bowl
(this is enough spice mix for about 2 meals)
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all spice
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 -2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tri-colored quinoa
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- dried dill weed, garlic powder, and a dash of salt, to taste
- feta cheese, for topping
- Make spice mix in a small bowl that can be sealed or a small zip top bag. Mix well and set aside.
- In a second bowl mix sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) with dill weed, garlic powder and a dash of salt, to your liking. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large skillet over medium heat begin browning the ground beef, breaking it into small pieces as it cooks.
- Begin boiling the quinoa according to package directions.
- Once ground beef is fully cooked remove any grease from the pan. Add 1/2 cup of water and about 1/2 of the spice mix. You may wish to add a bit less and taste and add more to your liking. Allow to simmer over medium heat until water evaporates. Remove pan from heat.
- Serve warm quinoa in a bowl topped with spiced meat, cucumber, red pepper, onion and drizzle of sour cream mixture and a bit of feta cheese.