My son has been begging me to make this soup again. He remembered it from three to four years ago and every once in awhile he would pass by the Velveeta cheese in the store when we out shopping and tell me, “You need to make that Cheeseburger Soup with the Velveeta cheese again.”
My kids like how I change things up yet at the same time they wish they could have repeat dishes more often. I am trying to balance wanting to try new dishes with their love for some of their favorites.
I finally gave in and made the soup for him. It has been the perfect time these last few days for slow cooker soups. We have gotten lots of snow and I love walking in to the smell of the soup in the slow cooker and a loaf of bread in my bread maker. If you haven’t used your slow cooker or bread maker in awhile pull them out and try using them again. You may be surprised at how much you love them again.
For a family who really doesn’t care for Velveeta cheese or American cheese they sure love this soup. It is easy to make but I didn’t take the time to shred the carrots. Next time I will. I was in a hurry to get out of the house and just did a quick rough chop instead. It didn’t really effect the taste but was more of a texture issue for me. If you don’t mind carrot chunks choose what works best for you.
Tip: If you do not want to use Velveeta cheese you can use sharp cheddar cheese instead. It will not have the same super creamy texture as the Velveeta and the taste will be a bit different but both work.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs potatoes, cubed into bite size pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded (chopped works too)
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 (I used fat-free)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (16 oz) package Velveeta Cheese, cut into cubes
- Place potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, basil, parsley, and chicken stock in the bowl of the slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Thirty minutes before serving cook the ground beef in a skillet breaking it into small pieces as it cooks. Add ground beef to slow cooker and wipe out pan with paper towel.
- Melt butter in skillet. Sprinkle flour over butter and stir cooking 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, milk, and sour cream to the pan. Stir well.
- Pour mixture into the soup and stir well. Add cheese and cover to melt 10-15 minutes. Stir well. Taste and adjust spices as necessary.
- Serve hot.