The ham is going away. I have used three meals from it – ham and baked potatoes, ham and cheese hashbrown casserole, and now barbecue Hawaiian pizza. My family isn’t tired of it because each dish has highlighted a different flavor and is something completely different. But, before they do tire of the ham I am freezing the rest for soup or a ham salad.
This pizza was super simple. I had my daughter make the dough in the bread maker and my son made the pizza. I love meals that they can make with little to no guidance from me. They are both learning to be better cooks with only thinking they are helping me out by making the meals while I am doing something else. I am well on my way to having one of my goals for them complete before they graduate high school. If you haven’t read it before “10 Skills I Want My Children to Have Before They Leave for College” (click for link to post) talks about the skills I am trying to teach my kids. I have about six months left with my daughter so I am making a check in with her to make sure I cover everything before it is too late.
We all actually liked this more than we thought we would. There was a small debate about having pineapple on the pizza but it was pretty good. I loved the sweetness of the pineapple against the barbecue sauce. Also, it used up a bit more of the stuff I stash in my freezer for later use.
I served this with a green side salad to complete the meal.
- 1 lb. pizza dough (homemade or from a store)
- corn meal
- 1/2+ cup your favorite barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 cup diced ham, great for leftovers
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup + cheddar cheese
- 1 cup + mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pizza dough by stretching out to a large circle or rectangle use a dusting of corn meal to keep the pizza from sticking to the pan or stone.
- Top pizza crust with barbecue sauce spread over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle with ham, pineapple, and cheeses.
- Place pizza in oven for 12-15 minutes until the top is turning brown and the bottom is golden in color. Remove pizza from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before cutting.