My family has been a bit obsessed by bowls lately. I think it is such a novel idea that they can eat dinner out of a bowl rather than on a plate that they actually are eating more vegetables and grains this way. I didn’t have brown rice mix which is what I REALLY wanted to serve this dish with so we settled for tri-colored quinoa. We like quinoa but I truly think this would be so much better with a nice brown rice/wild rice mix.
We all liked this dish and we are all eating more vegetables. For this dish I used asparagus, red pepper, yellow pepper, and onions. You can use whatever you like. This would be delicious with some spinach, kale, or even carrots added to the dish.
The quinoa was a bit too small for this dish we felt in flavor. That is why I think a brown rice/wild rice mix cooked in chicken stock would be perfect. The garlic sauce was not overpowering of the dish but added a different element. At first the kids were not too sure of the creamy sauce over the grains and vegetables. We usually don’t serve a creamy sauce over grains but once they got used to the difference in texture they all liked it far better than I did. What can I say, I am a picky eater.
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, pounded down slightly and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- vegetables of choice for roasting: asparagus, peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, etc….
- 1-2 teaspoons powdered garlic
- for serving: a grain such as brown rice/wild rice mix, tri-colored quinoa, or wild rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Chop and clean vegetables and place on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss vegetables with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until well coated. Then sprinkle with powdered garlic. Place pan in oven for 15-20 minutes (depending on thickness and density of vegetables) until browned and tender to your liking.
- While vegetables are cooking begin making your grain to go with your bowl.
- Then place bread crumbs in a large zipper plastic bag. Place chicken cubes in half and half a few at a time. Remove with a slotted spoon once chicken is well coated and place in baggie with bread crumbs. Shake gently to coat pressing bread crumbs to cubes. Remove from bag. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Gently place the chicken in the skillet. Turn browning on all sides until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- To make sauce in a saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 2-4 minutes until fragrant, you do not want the garlic to brown. Sprinkle flour over butter garlic mix and whisk together until a paste forms. Cook for 1-2 minutes until flour looses the pasty smell. Slowly drizzle in the chicken stock whisking continually so that there are no lumps. Then slowly pour in the cream continuing to whisk. Add salt and black pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened to your liking.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in Parmesan cheese and taste. Adjust spices to your liking.
- Serve bowls with grain on the bottom, vegetables and chicken on top drizzled with garlic cream sauce.