Taking those things we love and turning them into something new for us! Brats are always on sale here and with the Super Bowl a few weeks ago sales were really great. I picked up a few packages to have on hand because they are like the hot dogs of the Midwest.
If you read my blog fairly regularly you know I LOVE caramelized onions. The sweetness, the savory taste is just perfect with a nice beer brat. We were out of rolls so what do I do? Improvise! Lets make this into a pizza!
This was delicious! I went simple with a brush of olive oil and a sprinkle of powdered garlic across the crust before baking it for about 4 minutes. Then I put the cheeses on the crust with the sliced beer brats and onions over the top. This was gone by breakfast the next morning. I made a small pizza for my daughter without the onions on it and she was happy too.
We are already thinking of making this dish this summer on the grill. Oh my yum!!!
- 4 large Bratwurst
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup beer, your favorite red, amber, or dark preferably
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb dough ball (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook the brats in the beer and water. Pierce the brats to soak up the beer as they cook. When they are fully cooked remove them to a plate to cool. Slice into small circles once cooled.
- Add the butter to the skillet and lower the heat to medium-low. Add onions to the pan stirring well. Cook over medium low heat for about 20-25 minutes until onions turn dark brown. Be careful not to let them burn. Remove pan from heat when they are done.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread dough out into a large circle on your pizza stone. Brush top with olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder over the top of the dough. Pierce dough with a form all over the top to prevent it from over rising. Bake for 4 minutes until set.
- Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle the top of the pizza with mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, then onions and top with sliced brats.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until bottom of the crust is golden brown and top is browning.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing.