Happy Valentine’s Day! Hope you are spending the day with those you love. ❤ ❤ ❤ I am planning a fun dinner with my family and thought I would share with you some of the ways we make our family meals “special.”
It has been super cold and snowy here. We have actually been spending quite a bit of time inside staying warm. Sometimes we need to change things up and have some fun with our meals. Here are a few things that have helped us have a fun indoor picnic that everyone can enjoy.
- Get out of the kitchen or dining room! Go somewhere unexpected to have dinner. Have dinner in the living room or family room. We have even had dinner in our bedroom watching a movie while sitting on our bed. Be different and have fun!
- Use a table – If you have a coffee table, end tables, piano bench, etc… use it to get your picnic up off the floor. There is less of a chance of spills from knocking drinks or plates over with arms or feet. Plus it really is more comfortable while eating to sit up.
- Plastic table covering or floor coverings are helpful – They can be wiped off when you are done or simply thrown away if they are beyond saving. When our kids were little we used to put a table-cloth over the coffee table and one on the floor to have them sit on just in case of spills on the living room rug.
- Plan an unexpected meal – We have had orange meals – carrots, oranges and Cheese Puffs, we have had salad meals or grilled out in January (in Michigan). Don’t eat dessert often have Ice cream for dinner or a giant S’more for dessert. Make it fun!
- Don’t sweat it! – Have fun! Plan for the spills or plastic silverware breaking and be ready but don’t let it get in the way of fun. Have your paper towels and cleaners ready and make a game of cleaning it up. Everyone grab a towel and blot!