Our local theater sells reusable plastic popcorn buckets twice a year. For $30 you buy a bucket and get to use if for the next five-six months. Every time you go to a movie you can get it filled and refilled while you are there. But, the best part is you don’t even need to go so a movie to use the popcorn buckets so every once in a while as a treat we will take out buckets and go to the theater just to get popcorn to bring home for a special movie night treat.
But, that also has a down side in that movie popcorn is not really good for you and it can be not as special a treat as it once was. To avoid the trap we do not get the “butter” on the popcorn every time. You order it plain and then add your own toppings at this theater. And we try to change it up by adding mix-ins at home – small pretzels, chocolate pieces, almonds, peanuts, or cashews are good.
One local group sells Chocolate Coated Popcorn so when we saw that we decided to give it a try.
Yummy! The best part of this is that you can control how much or how little chocolate you want on your popcorn. We went with a light coating. You can easily let it dry and add additional layers if you want more chocolate. We were going for a fun snack so this was perfect for us. For a gift I would add 3-4 layers of chocolate over the popcorn.
- 8 cups popcorn (air popped, theater, stove top, microwave – your choice) It is best not to have a butter or oily coating on the popcorn
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- dash of coarse large salt
- Spread popcorn on a large baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Pick through the popcorn and remove any hard kernels or pieces.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Allow chocolate to cool for just a little bit before drizzling onto popcorn. Stir with a spoon and continue drizzling until desired coverage is reached.
- Allow to cool and sprinkle with salt before serving as desired.