We wanted a warm comforting dessert the other night and Apple Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream sounded so good. I wanted lots of crispy crust on top and the apples to be sweet but not cloyingly sweet.
I think they licked the pan clean! Everyone kept saying how good this was. The apples were not overly sweet but had a good cinnamon flavor. They crust was crispy and flavorful too. It was so good warm with the vanilla ice cream melting over the top.
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 by 8 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour, the oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, the baking powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt. Add diced butter to bowl and rub butter into dry mixture until it comes together into small crumbles. Transfer to refrigerator to chill while preparing filling.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and flour until well blended, then mix in water, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and pinch of salt. Add peeled and sliced apples to the bowl and toss gently.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Remove topping from refrigerator and sprinkle into crumbles evenly over top of apples.
- Bake until top is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a toothpick, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.