I love scones. They are so simple to make and can be made in so many different ways. Sweet, savory, or even plain are all good. We made these for a simple Sunday morning breakfast. The kids were surprised at how simple they really are to make and with a nice cup of tea or hot cocoa they were a perfect lazy day breakfast!
I like the chocolate chips far more than I thought I would have. We only had milk chocolate chips, my daughter’s favorite, in the house so that is what we made these with. You could easily change the chips to dark chocolate or semi sweet if that is what you like. These scones are a bit sweeter than others that I have made but the were perfect for the chocolate chips as it was not too sweet.
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cold
- 3/4 cup 1/2 and 1/2
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well blended. In a second smaller bowl mix together 1/2 and 1/2, egg, and orange juice until blended.
- Cut flour into dry ingredients until it forms small fine crumbs. Slowly mix in 1/2 and 1/2 mixture and chocolate chips until just moistened.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead 4-5 times then pat in to 2 large circles. Cut into 8 pie pieces each. If you would like larger scones you can make one circle.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.