I have to share this with you because I am such a proud Mom. We went out the other night for a rare date night and left the kids home to do homework. I did not make dinner as we were super busy but I knew there were some chicken tenders in the freezer, along with a frozen pizza, and some chicken soup. I wasn’t worried about them. When we got home my daughter was so excited to share the pictures she took of their dinner and explain to me how she made it for them using things we had on hand in the refrigerator and pantry. It worked! My plan to teach them to cook has worked!
My daughter does not like the smell or touch or raw meat so she made a vegetarian dish for her and her brother that they both really enjoyed. She learned that you have to add more spinach than you think you do because it shrinks up so much and that real lemons are far superior to lemon juice.
This was a great first attempt for her in creating dinner. She added real lemon juice for acidity, a bit of Parmesan cheese for depth, and garlic for flavor. She was so pleased with herself.
Tip: This is her recipe. She cooked it by taste and so will you. If you notice in ALL of my recipes somewhere in the directions I tell you to taste and adjust spices to your liking. We are all different. We like different flavors, heats, and spices. Taste it and make it what your family will love. This is the perfect recipe that lets you do it to your taste.
- 8 oz. spaghetti or other pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 hands of baby spinach
- 6 oz. mushrooms, brushed clean and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- black pepper, freshly ground
- extra powdered garlic, if desired
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- Just before the pasta is done boiling place olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic to pan and saute for 1-2 minutes until well fragrant. Add baby spinach and mushrooms to pan stirring constantly until spinach has wilted. Add black pepper and salt as desired.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained add it to the skillet and toss with the spinach and garlic. Squeeze lemon juice over the top and toss. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese and coarse black pepper. Taste and adjust spices. Use powdered garlic if needed.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and extra Parmesan, if desired.