We needed something quick and easy to make with our Italian sausage. I love sausage but get tired of peppers and onions or pasta sauce with Italian sausage. I ended up making a loaf of herbed bread in the bread maker and thought that soup would be perfect to go with it.
This was a nice filling meal. The smell of all the garlic, basil, and sausage was heavenly throughout the house. Both kids wanted garlic bread with this to soak up the tomato broth. Yum! One bowl was enough for me it was so filling.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion, fine dice
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 oz) package frozen cheese tortellini, thawed in refrigerator
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- Extra fresh basil and shredded Parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- Heat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Heat vegetable oil and add diced onion. Saute until onions are soft.
- Crumble Italian Sausage and garlic with the onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable (or chicken) broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Let soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach and simmer for about ten minutes, until pasta is tender.
- Serve with shredded Parmesan and fresh basil, as desired.