I am always looking out different ways to serve “ordinary” foods. How to make a burger or hot dog seem like a special meal. This was a night where I had 30 minutes to get the meal on the table before the kids started gnawing on the table legs. I had thawed a package of ground beef and really did not want to make spaghetti or sloppy joes. Those seemed so difficult.
My family is not a fan of plain old hamburgers or cheeseburgers. They want it to be different. Apple slices, feta, spinach, nuts, just something to make it unique.
I think we could put tzatziki sauce on anything and love it. You can add extra Mediterranean spices to the burgers or don’t and make them according to your favorite recipe. The extra spices can add to the Mediterranean flavor but the tzatziki and cucumber slices (because I was lazy and didn’t want to shred the cucumber into the tzatziki) really adds a ton of flavor.
I served this with a mixed green salad for our dinner.
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef – use your favorite hamburger recipe to make into 6-8 patties
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon powdered garlic
- dash of salt
- cucumber slices
- feta, crumbled
- pitas cut in half
- toppings such as tomatoes, onion slices, etc… as desired
- Grill or fry hamburgers ( your choice) as you normally would. Once they have cooked through remove them to a plate.
- Mix sour cream, dill, garlic, and salt together. Taste and adjust spices to your liking. We usually add a ton of garlic because that is what we like.
- Place a hamburger in a pita half top with tzatziki mixture, cucumbers and crumbled feta. Add tomatoes and onions as desired.
- Serve warm.