I am always looking for different side dishes. This is called Frito Corn “Salad” but I don’t know if I would call it a real salad. It has corn, red pepper, red onion, and celery but is that enough to make it a salad? My son was eating it as a dip before I added the Fritos to the dish.
This was suggested with Chili Fritos. None of us really care for them as we tend to find them REALLY salty. I know the regular ones are just as bad but at least we like the flavor of them. I decided to make this “salad” with the regular Fritos and add spices to make it mimic the chili flavoring.
This was better than we thought it was going to be! It sounded strange and we were skeptical when someone recommended I try this but I had the ingredients on hand (except the red pepper) and decided it was now the time to try it. This is a side dish you cannot eat a lot of but it is still fun for a picnic dinner.
I served this with fried pork chops and brown beans to complete our meal.
- 2 (15 oz) cans sweet corn, drained
- 1 large stalk celery, diced
- 1 large red pepper, smallish dice
- 1/2 red onion (about 1/4 cup), diced
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 bag Frito corn chips
- Stir all ingredients, except the Fritos, in a large bowl. Taste and adjust spices to your liking.
- Cover and let salad chill for 20-30 minutes in refrigerator.
- Slightly crush corn chips and stir into salad just before serving.