When we were taking inventory of our pantry recently I realized I had quite a few extra bottles of barbecue sauce on hand. I am trying to keep the grocery budget down so I decided that using some of the extra barbecue sauce was a must. A can on pineapple, an orange pepper, chicken breasts, and egg noodles and we are on our way to a delicious simple dinner!
This was super yummy AND super simple! This dish can be on the table in about 30-40 minutes. The barbecue sauce that I used adds a hint of heat with the sweetness from the pineapple that makes a super tasty dish.
I served this over egg noodles but rice would also be great. Add whatever vegetables you like to the dish. We served it with a side of green beans to complete the meal.
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breast, pounded down to 3/4″ to 1″ thickness
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 1 (18 oz) bottle barbecue sauce, I used Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Barbecue (it’s my favorite)
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1 orange or red pepper, seeded and chopped
- egg noodles or rice for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat warm olive oil. Season chicken with salt and black pepper on both sides. Add chicken to pan and cook 2-4 minutes until golden brown. Chicken does not need to be cooked all the way through as you will be baking it.
- Once chicken is golden on both sides remove from pan and but into 1″ cubes. Add cubes to a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Add barbecue sauce, pineapple chunks, and pepper to the dish and stir well.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until chicken is cooked through and dish is hot.
- Serve hot over egg noodles or rice as desired.