As we are expecting 3″-5″ of snow today and tomorrow it seems perfect that I am posting Hot Cocoa Cookies. I am sure we are going to want to stay inside and nibble a few of these with some warm milk! We have a busy weekend ahead of us. I am hoping that the weather stays clear enough that everyone traveling to the musical my son is in tonight makes it safely.
These cookies were so good! They were rich and chocolatey. My kids are already asking me to make more of them! The picture above doesn’t show them with the chocolate glaze on them. It is up to you if you want to add the glaze. My kids love the cookies with or without the glaze. They look great with the glaze and some Christmas sprinkles.
Hot Cocoa Cookies
A delicious chocolate Christmas cookie.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (12 oz) bag milk chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- mini marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter and then stir in the chocolate chips. Stir until it makes a smooth sauce.
- Set chocolate aside and let cool.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the sugar, eggs and extract together.
- Once the chocolate and butter mixture is cooled mix it into the sugar, eggs and extract. It has to be cool or you will scramble the eggs!
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Mix until everything is well combined. Cover in plastic wrap and place into the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove dough from the fridge after one hour and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spoon out about a tablespoon of chilled dough and roll it into a ball. Lay it onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Press each cookie down a little bit to slightly flatten.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven. Top each cookie with three-four mini marshmallows. Place back into the oven for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Repeat until all cookies are done.
- Let cookies cool. Glaze with chocolate glaze if desired.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter, cocoa powder, hot water and vanilla extract.
- Slowly stir in the powdered sugar until everything is well combined.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper under the cooling racks of the cookies.
- Drizzle each cookie with the chocolate glaze, covering the marshmallows. While the chocolate glaze is wet, sprinkle each cookie with the sprinkles.
- Let Cookies and Chocolate glaze set for about 30 minute before serving.
- Keep cookies in an air tight container.