We have been having lots of chicken breast, ground beef, and pork lately because it was what was on sale last month. I VERY rarely pay over $2.50 to $3.00 a pound for meat. We prefer to spend our money on items other than food like saving for vacations at Disney or dance competitions for our daughter. They did have Bottom Round Roasts (which tend to be tougher cuts of meat) on sale for $3.50 a pound so I bought a few of them. We cut one into steaks and left the other whole.
Use better steak if you have it but you can make whatever you have on hand work!
This is super simple but the kids went crazy for it. They both said how simple the meal was but they loved it. The steak was well cooked and tender. Cutting it into thin steaks and then cooking it in the oven helped make it tender. The flavor of the caramelized onion with the cheese and a bit of your favorite steak sauce? Delicious!
- 1 – 1/2 lbs. steak
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8-10 medium flour tortillas
- choice of toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, steak sauce, taco sauce, salsa, tomatoes, feta, …
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter and add onions turning heat to medium low. Cook onions for 15-20 minutes until caramelizing at edges and browning.
- Salt and pepper steak well. Cook to desired doneness. I cooked ours in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until medium rare.
- Remove steak from heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin pieces.
- Warm tortillas and serve steak and onions on top with choice of toppings.