Life continues on. My son was Maurice, Belle’s father, in “Beauty and the Beast” recently. He loves acting and musicals. With his autism he studies people endlessly to understand their motives, vocal inflections, and emotions. This has helped him be a fairly good actor. Comedy especially comes easy to him. He doesn’t understand that even though it comes easily to him that it is a talent. I know I am his mom but he did a great job and his songs were wonderful.
Maurice and his proud sister.
So, we are having these quick easy meals that everyone can eat or heat up as they need. This meal is on the table in about 30 – 35 minutes. It is a comforting meal with lots of flavor!
This was a hit with everyone (even my daughter who doesn’t care for rice). It has a great flavor and is a nice comforting meal on busy nights. I loved that I had everything in my pantry to make this on a night I didn’t start dinner until 7:30 pm and it came together so easily. It also made enough for 4 large servings for dinner and a couple of lunch servings for the next day.
We had this with a green side salad to complete the meal.
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 2 (14.5 oz) can Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese, for serving if desired
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until meat is cooked through. Break meat into small pieces as it cooks with the side of a spoon.
- Return skillet to stove top and add in the tomatoes, rice, beef broth, oregano, garlic salt, basil and pepper. Stir well and allow to return to a low boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let cook until liquid is absorbed. In the last 3-4 minutes stir in corn to heat with rice and meat.
- Once rice is cooked stir well and taste and adjust spices. Sprinkle top with the mozzarella cheese return lid to pan and allow cheese to melt. Serve hot.