Reblogged from 2016:
Do you need a super simple cookie that tastes great and can be made in under 30 minutes? These tiny little cookies are perfect! They are tiny and offer a nice sweet bite.
In February my daughter’s Girl Scout troop made Fairy Bites for one of their events. We loved these little cookie bites. So, we decided to make them festive for Christmas by adding red and green nonpareil.
These super simple shortbread cookies are a delicious choice when you need a quick batch of cookies. The almond flavoring makes them a yummy alternative to the chocolate and peppermint cookies of the season.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 teaspoons red & green nonpareil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. Let the paper over hang the edges so you can lift the cookies out.
- Combine the butter, sugar and almond extract in a bowl beating at medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. Reduce beater speed to low and add in flour and salt mixing until well combined. Stir in nonpareil.
- If dough is crumbly knead in bowl just until a ball forms – your hands will warm it and it will form a dough as you lightly knead it. Place the dough into the square pan and spread evenly.
- Lift the unbaked cookie dough out of the pan and place on a cutting board. Using a pizza cutter cut the dough into 1/2″ squares. Place the squares on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake until the bottoms just start to turn golden, approximately 15 minutes.