Reblogged from 2017:
I love, love, love Christmas time! We start baking right around Thanksgiving and make cookies right up until Christmas Eve when we make our families Apple Kuchen.
I made these with my mother when I was little. Our cookie press was a bit different from the one I have now but they still have the stars, trees, and bar shapes that we love. These are real simple cookies that you can easily customize with your choice of food coloring, sprinkles, dip them in chocolate, and use different disks in your cookie press.
These were the same simple cookies I remember. Tasty with a nice almond flavor. You can use vanilla extract, lemon extract, etc… it is all up to you!
We needed to add a bit more flour than the recipe called for as we had been baking and our house was a bit warm and humid. You want the dough to be stiff enough to cut when you pull up on your cookie press but not too stiff that it doesn’t press. Try a cookie or two and adjust flour to your dough as needed.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract (or your choice)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- food colorings, sprinkles, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract.
- Add in flour and stir until combined. If desired divide dough into three bowls and add food coloring as desired.
- Place about 1/3 of the dough into the press and make cookies approximately 2″ apart.
- Bake until edges are browning. Allow to rest 5 minutes on cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
- Store in covered container up to 4 days or freeze up to two months.