I honestly don’t think I have ever had grits in my entire life. If I did it was many, many years ago and they obviously didn’t make much of an impression on me. In a time of we need to stretch ourselves and our eating again we decided to try dishes we have never had before or seasonings we have never had before. This is one of the dishes. You should have seen me trying to find grits in the grocery store. Grains? Oatmeal? Ah, baking aisle.
Oooo, this was good! The shrimp was spicy but the nice creamy, cheesy grits balanced it nicely with just a bit of bacon. Yummy! Where has this food been all my life. Now my family was a bit split. Three of the four of us loved the grits and were thinking about what else we could serve them with. My son did not like the texture. He is also not a fan of soups because he prefers to have something to chew for his meals. Smooth soups or like the grits just do not do it for him. He liked the flavor though.
To complete the meal we had a green side salad.
- 2 pounds deveined and shelled shrimp
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup yellow corn grits
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 green onion stalks, chopped
- 8 oz bacon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, remove bacon from skillet, roughly chop. Wipe skillet clean and set aside to use later for the shrimp.
- In a sauce pan bring chicken stock to a boil, add grits and reduce heat to low. Cover and let grits simmer for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When grits have absorbed the liquid add cream cheese, shredded cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Stir mixture well, cover and remove from heat.
- To shrimp stir in Old Bay Seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Stir until shrimp is completely coated.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp is pink and tender.
- Serve the warm grits topped with shrimp, bacon, and green onions.