Day 41 – If you follow this blog you will see I am not a big baker. I love to cook because you can mix everything together make it taste good and it works. With baking you have to have to be much more exact in how it is created because the science to make it raise and bake have to work. Not my thing. But, I love sweets. Every once in awhile I have to try to bake a bit. My daughter and I love experimenting with boxed mixes of cakes and brownies to see what we can make. She is not a fan of frosting so she is always looking for really rich cakes that don’t need frosting and can be eaten plain or with a dusting of powdered sugar. This is one of her favorites.
This recipe creates a dense moist cake. You can frost it with a buttercream or cream cheese frosting but you really don’t need to. It is rich and decadent all on its own. You can easily change up this recipe by switching the flavors of cake mix and pudding you use. French Vanilla pudding with a white cake mix. A chocolate fudge pudding with a chocolate cake. It is entirely up to you!
recipe title=”Making a Boxed Cake Mix Taste Like Homemade” servings=”12″ time=”45-60 minutes” difficulty=”easy”]
- 1 box (16-18 oz) cake mix, any variety
- 1 pkg (3 oz) instant pudding mix that complements the boxed cake flavor
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Beat together all the ingredients until a smooth and combined batter forms.
- Bake according to package instructions on cake mix.
- Remove cake and allow to cool before serving. You can frost or dust with powdered sugar if desired.