Day 59 – Wow! The internet is crazy lately. It seems like no one can agree on anything. Open the country. Keep it closed. Wear a mask. Don’t wear a mask. Sheep. Snowflakes. UGH!!! I am trying to avoid the news and most forms of online discussions lately because the fighting is really upsetting to me. I just want everyone to get along. The noise is killing me. So, I am avoiding it all as much as possible.
I will cook. I will bake. I will write. I am even thinking about art or something. I need distraction. But, for now I make dinner. No news.
Verdict: As my kids said, “It’s a really fancy grilled cheese.” The sauce adds a delicious dimension to an ordinary grilled cheese. Use the best thick cut bread you can find sourdough, country white, or similar work well.
I served this with a green side salad to make a nice light meal.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- pinch of salt
- 8 slices thick country-style bread
- 8 slices thick cut ham (great for leftovers)
- 4 oz. Swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Make sauce first: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat . Sprinkle flour over butter and stir, until mixture is pale and foamy, about 1-3 minutes. Gradually pour in milk, stirring continuously until mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thick about 4 -6 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in mustard. Taste and add salt as needed.
- For sandwiches: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spread one side of 4 slices of bread with sauce. Place bread sauce side up, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top sauced bread with ham, 1/2 the cheese and top with remaining slices of bread. Spread remaining sauce over the top side of the bread then top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with basil.
- Bake until cheese is brown and bubbling, 10–15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and allow to rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.