It is hard to see in this picture but this macaroni salad is a light pinky/orange color. I remember this salad from long ago at church picnics but had forgotten all about it. What makes it pink/orange? The Catalina dressing. It sounds strange but give it a try. It is a different flavor than you are probably used to. Sometimes trying something new is a good thing!
Verdict: My family was split on this. My son and I really liked it but my daughter and wife were okay with it. It has a bit of a sweeter taste which they were not expecting. This is a great change from ordinary macaroni salad for a picnic or barbecue.
I serve this with hot dogs, brown beans, and chips for a nice picnic dinner.
Catalina Macaroni Salad
- 12 ounces dried macaroni
- 1/3 cup Catalina dressing
- 3/4 – 1 cup mayonnaise, not low fat
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more as needed
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and rinse under cool running water. Drain again, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the Catalina dressing right away, stirring to coat evenly all the macaroni.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, salt, pepper, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the mixture to the pasta and stir to incorporate, then add the chopped pepper and hard-cooked egg, stirring so they are evenly distributed. Taste, and season to your taste.