I found a recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu at Allrecipes.com. I don’t like using canned soups in my cooking so I altered the recipe to:
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 cups of low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces sliced ham
- 4 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package herbed dry bread stuffing mix (low sodium)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Mix together the sour cream, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce and milk in a small bowl. Pour enough of the soup into a slow cooker to cover the bottom. Layer chicken breasts over the sauce. Cover with slices of ham and then Swiss cheese. Pour the remaining soup over the layers, stirring a little to distribute between layers. Sprinkle the stuffing on top, and drizzle butter over stuffing. Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours, or 2 to 3 hours on High.
My family really liked this recipe. It was too salty for my tastes so I highly recommend using the low sodium products where possible then adding salt after if you need to.
Confession, I forgot to completely thaw the chicken before I added it to the crock pot. I cooked it for 4-5 hours on high and then let it warm on low while we were out of the house. The chicken was falling apart as I served it. I preferred it this way as I like my chicken chunked rather than whole breasts.
One Comment Add yours