I first made Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu in 2012. The Crockpot Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole (click for link to original recipe) was one of my early posts and I was just starting to try to cook without canned soups. My early attempts were good but my later attempts have greatly improved.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using canned cream of soups in recipes if you like them. I have been slowly trying to move my family to less processed foods and for us that started with canned foods. I still use canned tomatoes as I still have not gotten beyond that, but pretty much we have no more canned foods in our house.
I am thinking about what processed food we should tackle next. Maybe bread or tortillas? Ooo, salad dressings. Yes, that’s it, salad dressings, the jarred and bottled dressings, have ton of additives.
My daughter made this for dinner. The best part was that she made a mistake in adding the ingredients in the order I normally do and actually improved the recipe! I normally place half of the soup over the chicken, ham and cheese before adding the stuffing mix. This time she added the soup after and stirred it all together with the butter and it was delicious! Much lighter and fluffier than usual with more flavor. I love happy accidents.
I served this with a broccoli, carrot and red pepper medley to complete the meal.
*Tip: If you don’t like how your chicken is too dry or completely falls apart in the slow cooker you are overcooking your dish. This recipe uses chicken breasts pounded to 1″ so they are completely cooked in about 4 hours. Leaving the dish to cook all day will result in dry chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu (with NO Canned Soups)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup fat-free half and half
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, pounded down to 1″
- 1/2 lb deli ham, sliced
- 16 oz Swiss cheese sliced
- 14 oz bag of stuffing (not the red box – it will be VERY salty)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a sauce pan melt butter. Sprinkle flour over the butter and stir to make a paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken stock then milk. Whisk the mixture until it thickens. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes adding black pepper to taste.
- Pour 1/3 of mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker. Spread the chicken over the mixture. Add ham over the chicken and then the Swiss cheese over the ham. Pour the bag of stuffing into the slow cooker over the cheese. Pour the remaining butter mixture over the stuffing. Pour the melted butter over the stuffing. Stir together the butter, butter mixture and the stuffing.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Serve hot.