As with many of my recipes I found the basis for this one on Pinterest. Now mine turned out looking nothing like the one on Pinterest but it was DELICIOUS!
I started with the recipe on Fortheloveofcooking.net
- 1 small container ricotta cheese
- Large handful of baby spinach, chopped
- Large handful of grape tomatoes, diced (remove the seeds if possible)
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Small handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Dash of oregano
- 3 chicken breasts
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Olive oil for frying
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the ricotta, spinach, tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, basil and garlic to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cut a long horizontal slit along the center of the thin long edge of the chicken breast, nearly through to the other side. Fill the cavity of the chicken breast with the ricotta mixture. Season each side of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken breasts in the bread crumbs until both sides are evenly covered. Close the slit together with toothpicks. It took 4-6 for mine to close as I overstuffed the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken in the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown, flip the chicken over and brown the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet when brown and place on an aluminum foil covered cookie sheet. Cook the chicken until done and tested with a meat thermometer 25-30 depending on the size of your chicken breasts.
- Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
This was an amazing meal. I added roasted potatoes with Italian herbs and green beans with garlic for an amazing dinner. My children asked this be added to our menu sooner that one year away. I guess it was a hit.