As a busy mom I really try to use my slow cooker at least once each week. If you really want to use your slow cooker often I highly suggest a programmable one. That way the cooker can turn itself to keep warm or change from high to low as you need it to. My goal is to use it twice a week all year-long.
When I saw this recipe on Pinterest it really intrigued me because I had just bought a big bag of cashews that were on sale at the grocery store this week and I had chicken thawing in the refrigerator. It was a must do!
Then I read the directions – cube chicken and dredge in flour, fry pieces before putting in slow cooker. I dislike additional steps when making things in the slow cooker. I read through the comments and some people had not fried the chicken before putting it in the slow cooker and said it was fine so I gave it a try.
This is a good dish for my kids to eat in the car because I can add vegetables as a side and just serve it all in my Rubbermaid bowls. I love easy portable meals!
The original recipe from The Recipe Critic can be found here – Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken.
- 2 lbs boneless skin less chicken breasts (About 4 pieces)- cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 6 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 6 Tbsp ketchup
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 cup cashews
1. Combine flour and pepper in resealable food storage bag. Add chicken. Shake to coat with flour mixture.
2. Place chicken in slow cooker.
3. Combine soy sauce, vinegar, ketchup, sugar, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes in small bowl; pour over chicken.
4. Cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours. Add cashews and stir.
5. Serve over rice. Makes 4-6 servings.
When I made the sauce I doubled it but found there was still not enough for our tastes. Next time I will triple the sauce. The recipe above is for triple the sauce.
Mine does not look as pretty as the recipe from Pinterest, the chicken just fell apart it was so moist, but it was tasty and super easy. My family asked for this again real soon.