I have an ice cream family. They love ice cream. They would eat ice cream every day, twice a day if I let them. I am however not a fan of ice cream. Just not something I love like the rest of my family. I would prefer a great dish of mashed potatoes or a slice of meatloaf. But, every once in a while I love a good piece of cake.
Very rarely do we make or keep cake or cookies in our house. We try to keep most things like that out of our house because several members of my family can eat an entire cake or batch of cookies in one sitting and still look for more!
I saw this recipe on Pinterest last week and really wanted to try it. I love Coffee Cakes. We followed the recipe from Pine Cones and Acorns for Cinnamon Cream Cheese Coffee Cake exactly (except for the pecans in the streusel topping because we didn’t have any in the pantry) but mine looks nothing like hers. It was still delicious.
My kids are already asking for me to make one again this weekend. I think I may wait until next month but I definitely see another one of these (with pecans this time) in our future.
- Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until well blended.
- Add the eggs & sour cream and beat with a mixer for 3 minutes.
- Sift together in a separate bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, and spices & add to creamed mixture, mix on low just until combined.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Beat the cream cheese with the egg yolk for 1 minute.
- Add sugar and vanilla and beat to well combined.
- Spread Cream Cheese filling mix over the cake in the prepared pan. Spoon remaining 1/2 of coffee cake mixture over top.
- Combine all ingredients, using a fork to cut the butter into the topping mixture until it resembles crumbles. Sprinkle over top.
Bake for 50-55 minutes until center is well set. Let cool on a wire rack completely before serving.