This was a recipe my son and I made together. He needed to make a recipe from a cookbook for his summer library reading program. We looked over my cookbook collection (yes, I really have a BIG collection) and he chose a Pad Thai recipe from Pinterest. Now, he mostly chose this because it sounded close to Padma, a character in Star Wars, and he really does like Pad Thai. We have not had any pad thai since moving to the Mid-West last year.
This recipe for Super Easy Pad Thai from Key Ingredient.com really was super easy and great for my 10 year-old son to make with me. Also it is very easy to customize. My kids do not like bean sprouts or cilantro so I just did not add them and it tasted good.
One thing I learned is that we need to experiment with cooking rice noodles correctly. I followed the directions on the package but they came out a bit gummy. The recipe still tasted great and we really liked the flavor of the dish as a whole but I need to remember to rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process as soon as the noodles come off the stove.
- 1 package of rice noodles
- 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1 TBSP Fish Sauce
- 2 TBSP Lime Juice
- 2 TBSP Canola Oil
- 2 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Peanuts, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh bean sprouts, if desired
- 1 cup of cilantro, if desired
- Make noodles according to package direction. Rinse under cold water when finished cooking.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and scramble until set, about 2 minutes. Remove eggs from pan and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice, canola oil and brown sugar until well blended.
- Place eggs, noodles and sauce (also bean sprouts) in skillet and return to medium heat. Stir until well combined and warmed through.
- Serve with chopped peanuts and cilantro if desired.