This dish didn’t turn out like I expected it to at all. It was actually better than what I thought it would be!
I am trying to use my slow cooker as much as I can right now. The grocery store had 2 lb. bags of frozen diced potatoes on sale this week. Of course I had to stock up with five bags of frozen potatoes and now what to do with them. Kielbasa was on sale for $2.00 this week so I had a quick easy casserole for dinner.
I served this with garlic green beans and a salad and it was a wonderful dinner. I am even thinking that this would be a good dinner for dinners on the go. It could go in a divided dish with a salad on one side and the potatoes on the other. Not as messy as spaghetti sauce or taco sauce too.
The entire family loved this recipe and there was enough for lunch the next day. Normally I don’t eat leftovers but even I had some of this for lunch the next day!
- 1 (2 lb.) bag of diced frozen potatoes
- 2 (13-14 oz) packages of kielbasa, smoked sausage or fully cooked ham slices
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP flour
- 1 1/2 cups of fat-free 1/2 and 1/2
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Colby Jack or mix of these)
- Spray the inside of your large slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Place diced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker bowl.
- Place frozen potatoes over the onions.
- Slice the kielbasa into 1/2″ slices and then cut them in 1/2 to form 1/2 moons. Place kielbasa over the potatoes.
- In a sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted add flour and whisk continually to make a paste.
- Once paste is formed SLOWLY drizzle in the 1/2 and 1/2 while continuing to whisk constantly. Once the milk has thickened, DO NOT BOIL THE MILK, (about 4-6 minutes) add the cheese. If your milk does not thicken in this time add 1 tsp. of flour to help thicken.
- Pour cheese sauce over the potatoes and onions.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours. My slow cooker tends to run hot even on low so my cooking times are toward the lower end. Once potatoes are cooked through and are fork tender they are done.
- Season with salt and pepper for serving.