Chicken is the meat of August I guess. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts were $1.69 a pound on sale so of course I had to buy over 12 pounds of them. I never could resist a sale. For some women it is shoes, for me it is meat.
So I have cut some up into chunks, some into tenders and frozen almost all of it. But, I still wanted to have some tonight as we are still recovering from last months pork purchases. When I only shop for meat once a month our meat is dictated by what is on sale at the local grocery stores the first week of each month. Last month was all types of pork this month it is chicken.
What I really wanted was pizza but we are having that in a few days so I decided to try Pizza stuffed Chicken. I served this with a salad and green beans. It made a great filling dinner and I had 2 breasts leftover for lunches the next day.
- 1 1/2 lbs. of chicken breasts, pounded to about 1/4″ thickness (about 4-6 breasts)
- 30 pepperoni slices
- 8 oz. Mozzarella cheese cut into 4-6 slices (the number of breasts you have)
- 1 jar of your favorite pizza sauce or homemade sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 TBSP milk
- Panko bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese, grated, for serving
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Place a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of a large baking sheet. Place 2 wire racks on the cookie sheet over the aluminum foil if they will fit otherwise use 2 pans putting one on each sheet. This will allow the chicken to cook without getting soggy on the bottom.
- In the center of a piece of the pounded chicken place 5 pieces of sliced pepperoni (overlapping). Lay a slice of the mozzarella cheese over the pepperoni. Spoon about 1 TBSP of sauce over the cheese.
- Wrap the chicken up into a small bundle securing with toothpicks to keep the chicken sealed. You want all edges closed tightly so the cheese and sauce do not leak out during cooking.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each piece of pounded down chicken.
- Break eggs onto a plate and add milk to plate. Stir the egg and milk until well mixed.
- On a separate plate place your bread crumbs.
- Dip each bundle in the egg mixture and then place on the bread crumb plate. Turn to completely coat the piece of chicken in bread crumbs patting the chicken down to help it stick.
- Place coated piece of chicken on the wire racks in your baking sheet.
- Once all piece of chicken are coated place in oven for 25-30 minutes until cooked through. Turn each chicken piece half way through the cooking time.
- Remove chicken from oven. Spoon a few tablespoons of sauce over each piece of chicken and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Let sit 3 minutes before serving.