The weather the past two weeks in Michigan has been down right Fall like. I have been craving pizza and needed to make something other than plain, old red sauce with sausage. I found this recipe for Deep Dish Alfredo Pizza on Allrecipes.com. I knew I wasn’t going to make a deep dish pizza as I had a regular pre-made pizza crust and a gluten-free pizza crust that I purchased from the grocery store. I thought I would try the rest of the recipe anyways.
If nothing else from this post MAKE THE ALFREDO SAUCE!!! Yes, I am yelling at you! MAKE THE ALFREDO SAUCE. The heavens will open and you will never want bottled sauce again. At least that is how my family felt. They kept taking teaspoons to test it from the pan before I could even get the sauce on the pizza!
I am even considering trying the sauce with shrimp and onions next on the pizza. I want to see what other dishes I can use this sauce in. Yes, we liked it that much!
Of course I added chicken sausage and caramelized onions because those are two of my favorite pizza toppings. I add caramelized onions to everything I can because I love them so much. Add your favorite toppings to make your pizza unique.
I served this with a green salad and had enough leftover pizza for my lunch the next day.
- 1 pint of Half and Half (I used fat-free)
- 1 cup of butter
- 4 TBSP cream cheese
- 1 3/4 cups of Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 TBSP butter, for cooking onion
- 4 links of chicken sausage, pre-cooked and sliced
- 3 cups of mozzarella cheese
- 2 pre-made pizza crusts
- Melt the 2 TBSP of butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Place the sliced onion into the skillet with the melted butter and cook slowly over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes. You want the onions to cook VERY slowly so they can caramelize but not burn. The slower they cook and caramelize the sweeter they will be in the end. Stir occasionally.
- When onions have finished cooking pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a saucepan over low heat, mix the half and half, butter, and cream cheese, stirring constantly, until melted and well-blended. Mix in Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Continue to cook and stir 15 minutes, or until the sauce starts to slightly thicken .
- Spread sauce over the two pizza crusts. Sprinkle chicken sausage slices and onions over both pizzas. Add Mozzarella Cheese to both pizzas.
- Bake on oven racks for a crispy crust until cheese is melted and slightly brown and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting.